Ever wondered what the difference is between a cobbler and a crisp?? Well, that makes the two of us. This continues to be a head-scratcher for me even as I’m about to unveil a perfect-for-Autumn Ginger Pear Cobbler! But really, I don’t think you’d care much about the difference once you’ve had this fabulous cobbler. Feel free to drool all over Exhibit A. And I rest my case.
Here’s the thing – I recently rediscovered a craving for Bosc Pears – don’t laugh, this is a legit craving! – and realized just how under-appreciated pears are! I simply find it unfair that pumpkins and apples somehow always end up stealing the autumn spotlight, leaving pears on the side of the curb. Well, all that’s about to change with this recipe, because guess who the star is? Well… it’s the incredibly aromatic ginger that really steals the show in a pleasantly surprising way… but hey, in-season pears for sure play a BIG role, too!
You Will Need:
- 4 cups sliced peeled pears
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 9 Immaculate Baking Co.® Vanilla Sugar Cookies (from 14-oz package)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 1 1/2-quart round casserole with cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, mix pears, cranberries and ginger. Sprinkle with sugar, flour and lemon juice. Stir until well blended; pour into casserole. 3. With hands, break up cookie dough; drop over pear mixture; sprinkle with oats. 4. Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until golden brown; serve warm.
Expert Tip: If the pears are very ripe and juicy, you may want to increase the amount of flour slightly to accommodate for this.
Well, I’m planning on heading out to an apple orchard this weekend (maybe this is why pears don’t get as much love as they deserve – there’s no orchards for people to pick their own pears whenever they want!) and baking up some apple crisps. Maybe I’ll know the answer to my own question. Until then!
1 Serving: Calories 270 (Calories from Fat 45); Total Fat 5g (Saturated Fat 2.5g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 70mg; Potassium 140mg; Total Carbohydrate 53g (Dietary Fiber 4g); Protein 3g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 0%; Iron 6%
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1/2 Fruit, 2 Other Carbohydrate, 1 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 3 1/2