Yes, it might seem like a huge contrast to go from our mini veggie baking spree, only to immediately switch gears to none other than a bacon apple pie. BUT! It’s National Pie Day today! We just won’t do it justice if we held anything back and didn’t go all out!
So yes, nothing seems more befitting than to bake up a bacon apple pie to honor today. We didn’t think you’d mind 😉
You Will Need:
- 1 Immaculate Baking Co. ® refrigerated Pie Crust
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 5 small peeled apples, 1/2-inch-thick sliced
- 8-12 slices uncooked bacon
Here’s How to Get the Dough Rolling:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.Prepare 1 pie crust dough as directed on the package using a 9 inch glass pie pan.
- In a large bowl, mix the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg until blended. Add the apples and toss to coat. Dump the spiced apple slices into the pie shell, including any sugar and juices that have accumulated in the bowl.
- Weave the uncooked bacon on top of the pie filling, starting from the center and working your way out to the edges. For a lattice topping you should have an over-under pattern with 5 pieces going vertically and five pieces going horizontally. Trim the edges and pinch into the crust to seal. Cover pie with foil and bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour. Remove cover. Continue baking for 15 minutes until golden brown and bacon is crisp.
- Let pie cool for 1 hour before cutting.