I don’t know about you, but I think I’ve pretty much exhausted all remedies to help make this dreadfully long and endless winter more bearable… I’ve tried to embrace it, went out cross country skiing and worked up a sweat as I flailed and stumbled and managed to not fall on my face more than once. I’ve tried the curl-up-indoors route, but cabin fever soon took over… alas, now at my wit’s end, I’m going to have to resort back to baking, not just to keep warm, but also to keep sane by baking up summer flavors just to remind myself that there is something to live for at the end of this seemingly endless tunnel that is winter… and so I present – Lemon Meringue Cookie Cups!
Even if it’s just for an imaginary moment, there is a split second when the lemony sour-sweetness took me to a better, warmer place, so that I can hold on to some hope, that this ridiculously long and freezing arctic weather, too, shall end. And then I’ll worry about all the extra keep-warm-stay-sane pounds I’ve put on then.
You Will Need:
- 1 pack Immaculate Baking Co.® refrigerated Vanilla Sugar cookie dough
- 1 cup lemon curd (find out how to make your own in the microwave here)
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Here’s How to Get the Dough Rolling:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 24-mini muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Drop each dough round into muffin tins. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are just starting to turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least ten minutes before gently twisting to remove from pan. Place on rack and let cool completely.
- Whip egg whites in a mixer bowl until foamy. Add sugar one tablespoon at a time, continuing to whip until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Spoon lemon curd into cups. (If necessary, press the center of the cups down with your thumb before spooning in curd to create more space.) Drop one tablespoon of meringue on top of the curd in each cup.
- Place cups on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and place under the broiler just until tips of meringue start to show color. Remove immediately.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving or store in refrigerator until ready.