It’s 4th of July! Happy Birthday, USA!
They say a picture’s worth a thousand words, and “they” are always right. So I’m just gonna let the picture do the talking for me 🙂
It’s supposed to be a “poke cake”, which, apparently, is a real thing. The red gelatin didn’t really give me the trickling effect I was going for… possibly because I jumped the gun and didn’t wait till the whole cake was completely cooled. But hey, it still looks great, and will still taste great! So get some flag-themed dessert going if you haven’t already!
Oh and hey! This is our very first yellow cake recipe! And it’s super fitting that we’d pull out one of our latest and greatest goodies for a birthday 🙂
You Will Need:
- 1 box Immaculate Baking Co.™ All Natural Yellow Cake Scratch Baking Mix
- 4 eggs and 1 1/2 stick of butter as called for on cake mix box
- 1 box (4-serving size) strawberry-flavored gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups Liberte Lemon Greek Yogurt
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
Here’s How to Get the Dough Rolling:
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for 13×9-inch pan. Cool completely in pan, about 1 hour.
- Pierce cooled cake with fork at 1/2-inch intervals. In medium bowl, stir gelatin and boiling water until dissolved. Stir in cold water. Carefully pour mixture over entire surface of cake. Refrigerate at least 3 hours until serving time.
- In large bowl, mix cream cheese and yogurt together until well blended. Feel free to add a bit of sugar and vanilla extract to pump up the flavor. Spread over cake. Arrange strawberries and blueberries on top of cake to look like flag. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.