I will be the first to confess, I’m not quite sure how anyone could possibly think that adding veggies to a chocolate cake would be a good idea, but I’m glad that whoever first came up with this went with it, because man, is it delicious!
I don’t really consider myself to be baker per se, more like someone who really likes to eat, and getting a job where I’m require to bake on a regular basis kinda works to my benefit. I’ve learned that not only does adding the zucchini not distort the chocolate-ness of the cake, it really gives it a nice texture. And if you’re completely adverse to zucchinis, feel free to trade it in for some carrots! And don’t forget you can always use any fruit toppings of your choice. We just figured raspberries look extra pretty and taste extra yummy with chocolate cake!
You Will Need:
- 1 box Immaculate Baking Co.™ Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup finely shredded unpeeled zucchini (about 1 medium)
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 to 6 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup fresh strawberries and raspberries
Here’s How to Get Your Mix On!
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- In large bowl, beat all Cake ingredients with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Spread in pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on cooling rack; remove from pans. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- In small microwavable bowl, heat chocolate chips uncovered on High 1 minute 30 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds, until chocolate can be stirred smooth. In small bowl, microwave milk and vanilla uncovered on High 20 to 30 seconds or until hot. Stir into melted chocolate, a teaspoon at a time, until glaze consistency.
- Place 1 cake layer top side down on cake stand or plate. Spread with 3 to 4 tablespoons of the glaze. Top with second layer, top side up. Spread with remaining glaze, allowing some to drizzle down side. Top with berries.
1 Serving: Calories 450 (Calories from Fat 190); Total Fat 21g (Saturated Fat 12g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 95mg; Sodium 490mg; Potassium 390mg; Total Carbohydrate 57g (Dietary Fiber 4g); Protein 6g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 6%; Iron 10%
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 3 Other Carbohydrate, 1/2 Very Lean Meat, 4 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 4