I don’t drink coffee. Never liked the taste of it. And when I tell people, they always look at me incredulously, and ask, “well, what do you do when you feel sleepy?” I’d look right back at them, incredulously, and answer, “um, I got to sleep.”
But I love LOVE chai lattes. They’re just about the only thing that I ever get at coffee shops. So when I found this recipe, I thought it was way too brilliant to not try it on our own Chocolate Cake Mix!
I never realized that chai latte instant coffee mix would be so hard to find! I had vaguely recalled that Trader Joe sells them, but then only discovered that it’s just a seasonal item… just when I was ready to throw in the towel and go buy a large chai latte at Starbucks, thinking it’d be a good substitute for the mix, I found them at Target! Okay, it was actually a K-cup version, but it was better than nothing! I actually ended up adding 6 K-cups to my cake batter, because, hey you want that chai spice to come through! And oh my word, it made all the difference! Who knew chocolate cake and chai latte would go so well?
You Will Need:
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 box Immaculate Baking Co.™ Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1/4 cup chai latte-flavored international instant coffee mix (from 9.7-oz container)
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon chai latte-flavored international instant coffee mix (from 9.7-oz container)
- Ground cinnamon, if desired
Here’s How to Get Your Mix On!
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Place baking cups in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- In small bowl, toss chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon of the cake mix. In large bowl, beat remaining cake mix, 1/4 cup dry chai latte mix, the water, oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in coated chocolate chips. Pour into muffin cups
- Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for 24 cupcakes. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In medium bowl, mix powdered sugar and butter until smooth; set aside. In small microwavable bowl, microwave milk on High 10 to 15 seconds or until very warm. Stir in 1 tablespoon dry chai latte mix until dissolved; stir into powdered sugar mixture until smooth and spreadable. Spread or pipe frosting mixture on cupcakes. Just before serving, sprinkle with cinnamon. Store loosely covered.